Tuesday, November 13, 2012

My new checklist:

As I go through making a painting, I want to think of these things:

1: WHAT DO I WANT THE VIEWER TO FEEL?
This is the most important thing. Doesn't matter how you do it, you succeed if you get the viewer to feel what you want.

2: WHAT IS THE DAMN SUBJECT?
Thanks to Brian Stelfreeze for this one. What is the 5% of the painting that I want you to really connect with? The rest is gravy.

3: DOES IT WORK IN 3 TONES?
If not, redo the damned thing. Clear, clean silhouettes are how to make sure your painting reads.

4: WHAT IS THE COLOR THEORY?
Doesn't really matter which one, assuming it serves #1 and #2, but make sure you think about it instead of just falling into it.

5: DO YOUR SPACES READ PROPERLY?
Atmospheric perspective, proper forms, and all the other things we use to make sure we can place things in space where they belong.

6: HAVE YOU RENDERED THE FORMS?

This is the LEAST important thing on the list, even though I tend to freak out about it. Even if you screw the pooch on #6, if #1-5 are good, you'll be ok.

I think that's it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment